I bought this product a couple of months ago and I was so excited to try it. Be Unique is a UK homegrown company and I'd heard great things of some of their products so I wanted to give them a try myself, starting with Butta' Shine. I chose this as I'd been looking for some kind of butter to seal my hair with and this looked perfect.
- Product Description/Purpose: "Creates shine and locks in moisture" The description didn't lie. I've been using this product regularly since I bought it and each time its done exactly what it claims to. It creates shine without making the hair feel too greasy or giving that 'wet' look. It also does a great job sealing in the moisture so it doesn't get dry or brittle.
- Uses: Packaging says it can be used in general to lock in moisture, for twists, twist outs, braids or braid outs. Also its good to use under hair gel to prevent crunchiness.
- Ingredients: A really great list of natural ingredients with none of the nasties that most naturalistas try to avoid - Murumuru Butter, Capuacu Butter, Virgin Coconut Oil, Crambe abyssinica Oil, Sweet Almond Oil *(and) Nettle (and) Horsetail Extract (and) Sage Extract (and) Lavender Extract, Sapote Oil, Carrot Tissue Oil (Sunflower Oil (and) Carrot Seed Extract)
- Price: 90g / 3.17oz £12.95. This is slightly more than I would have liked to spend as I prefer products on the other side of £10 usually, but for the quality of the product and its ingredients I think it was worth it. Sometimes you have to pay more if you want great quality right?
- Packaging: Product comes in a sleek black plastic tub, with most of the writing written in white so its easy to read.
- Shelf life: Around 8 months - I bought mine early May and the best before date is 12/2013 which I think is fine as I would expect to have used it all in that time.
- Texture/ Consistency: Initially the product was fairly solid and had a smooth, light, mousse like texture. When using my fingers to scoop some out I could hear air bubble popping which was quite cool. Once it melts in your hands it looks and feels like melted butter, making it easy to apply to the hair. On the tub it does say that it may liquify at warm temperatures and unfortunately mine did this after few days, so I've been storing it in the fridge since. The consistency changed slightly as a result but not dramatically and it was still just as effective so it didn't cause too much of a problem, but its something to be aware of.
- Scent: The smell isn't anything special, but its definitely not unpleasant. It has a slightly nutty smell, but is hard to describe. To me, its what you would expect from the mix of natural butters and other ingredients in the product.
Verdict: I really love this product, I think its a great sealant. I'll definitely be re-purchasing it once the one I have runs out. A little seems to go a long way so its lasted well so far and I feel like I'm getting my money's worth. The price might be seen as a little expensive, but I think its worth it. Its also great to know I'm supporting an independent UK business!
Check out some more of their products over on their website:http://www.beuniquehaircare.co.uk/